Washington is a state in the Pacific Northwest region of the United States located north of Oregon, west of Idaho, and south of the Canadian province of British Columbia on the coast of the Pacific Ocean. Be inspired and let your imagination soar as you explore beauty, history and opportunities in Washington StateFrom the towering volcanic summit of Mt. Rainier to the sand beaches of Ocean Shores, the colorful vineyards of the Washington wine country to the natural beauty and character of Washington's rural communities and the stunning walls of the Grand Coulee; Washington is a breathtaking landscape for family, adventure and rejuvenation.
Washington State provides recruitment services for providers that want to serve in rural and underserved areas statewide. Our goal is to ensure that the healthcare system in Washington State has the professionals needed to help build healthy communities.
Through a collaborative partnership called the Washington Resources Group (WRG), direct recruitment efforts are provided for the following types of practice sites:
- Rural areas, including Rural Health Clinics and Community Health Centers
- Tribal settings (Indian Health Service or self-governed)
- Urban sites providing care to medically underserved patients
- State correctional and mental health facilities
Health student/residency presentations
Members of the WRG travel throughout the state to present to primary care medical residents, medical students, dental students, and advanced registered nurse practitioners/physician assistant (ARNP/PA) students. The discussion includes working in rural/underserved Washington, loan repayment programs and finding the right opportunity after graduation. We're always happy to consider requests for presentations; if interested Email Jawana Akuffo.
Washington State is the BEST STATE IN THE NATION according to a new analysis by US News & World Report: https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings
Washington ranks #6 in Best Places to Practice 2019: Where Physician Can Thrive: WA Best Place to Practice
Washington is the leading producer of apples, pears, and other fruit and has a fairly large wild horse population. Doctors who are happy at work are the majority. Off the job, Washington doctors are almost six times more likely to say they’re happy then not, and they‘re slightly less burned out than physicians in other states. Washington has a relatively expensive cost of living, but the state ranks well in terms of health system performance and overall lifestyle indicators.
Suggested community: Richland
Located at the confluence of the Yakima and Columbia rivers, Livability.com ranks Richland one of its best places to live. Richland is suburban town with beautiful parks, offers good schools, many housing options, and a socially engaged population.
Transformation Talk: Health Equity
Washington State has a generous State Loan Repayment Program. The goal of the program is to encourage primary care practitioners to serve in medically underserved areas. Practices serving Medicaid patients receive extra points towards becoming an approved site. To learn more about our program go to Washington State Loan Repayment Program.
- Washington State is a very Family Medicine friendly state. Family Medicine physicians in rural communities can choose to delivery babies (including c-sections) and a number of other procedures.
- General Surgeons are very important for RURAL areas. While a rural General Surgeon is not considered primary care they are primary for care and EMS in rural Washington State.
Washington State has a focus on Primary Care Practitioners.
WRG’s primary recruitment focus areas are:
- Primary care physician (family medicine, general internal medicine, general surgery, OB/GYN, pediatrics and psychiatry)
- Physician Assistants (PA) -certified
- Advanced registered nurse practitioners (NP)
In addition WRG partners with Washington State Department of Corrections (DOC).
DOC operates 12 prison facilities providing health services for incarcerated individuals which includes on site medical, dental and mental health services. Many opportunities are available for health care professionals. For more information about DOC, visit www.doc.wa.gov
Washington is pleased to have Neighborcare Health as our premier Associate Member.
A home is where the heart is, a place that's welcoming, supportive, provides peace of mind - Neighborcare Health is the largest provider of primary medical and dental care in Seattle for low income and uninsured families and individuals, serving our community for more than 40 years.
At Neighborcare Health, they believe everyone deserves and needs a place to call their health care home, regardless of income or insurance status. A health care home is where a team of medical, dental and mental health professionals work in collaboration with each patient to develop a personal health improvement plan. Each year they care for about 55,000 patients at 28 non-profit medical, dental and school-based clinics.
Registered Nurse Recruiting
- Visit Washington Center for Nursing (WCN) http://www.wacenterfornursing.org/ If you are interested in RURAL nursing opportunities or in a Community Health Center (urban/rural) directly contact the Workforce Advisor.
- Nurses interested in URBAN hospital work should visit the Hospital Association web page at http://www.wsha.org/ this site will allow you to visit hospitals in your GEOGRAPHIC area of interest.
- Additional urban nursing opportunities in Washington http://www.wacenterfornursing.org/
From this page you can learn about working in a State Institution or Correctional Facility http://agency.governmentjobs.com/washington/default.cfm