• Most loan repayment programs approve funding for renewals first, then get
into new applications. Funding for new applications typically starts at the
highest HPSAs and continues until funding is depleted. Meaning that normally,
the higher of a HPSA area you work in, the more likely your loan repayment
application be approved.
• Renewals are not guaranteed, however, once you are locked into a contract,
you are locked in! For example, if the HPSA score of the facility you’re working
at changes, it will not affect your current loan repayment, but could impact your
ability to get a renewal.
• Know the source of your funding. Program funding can be subject to budgeting.
• Look at the history of the program.
• Know the requirements for participation (reporting, etc.) for you AND your
Other Important Things to Know about
Know that many programs—including National Health
Service Corps—cannot be promised. There is an application
process and things (such as HPSA scores) can change.