Previous Page  5 / 10 Next Page
Show Menu
Previous Page 5 / 10 Next Page
Page Background

Nurse Corps

Nurse Corps Loan Repayment

You already have a job as a registered nurse, advanced practice registered

nurse, or nursing faculty. You apply for loan repayment and receive payment for

a percent of your unpaid nursing student loans in exchange for working in an

eligible facility located in a HPSA or in an accredited nursing school.

More information:

Nurse Corps Scholarship

Nurse Corps pays for your nursing school (including tuition, fees, and a monthly

stipend) in exchange for service in an area of need for a certain amount of time.

More information:

State Loan Repayment Program (SLRP)

SLRP (pronounced ‘slurp’) is partially federally funded but requires a state or

employer to match the money they give, dollar for dollar. SLRP programs are

typically similar to NHSC (e.g. SLRP programs are required to follow the same

breach penalty as NHSC), but as the state also contributes money, they may be

more flexible in certain aspects (HPSA score needed to apply, etc.). You can see

which states participate in the SLRP here:


Other Programs

There may be other options to consider in the state you want to work, such as

employer sponsored loan repayment or awards from private foundations.

Independent State Programs

Many states have, through their own legislative processes, created financial

incentive programs for health professionals. These programs will vary from state

to state, searching online or connecting with your PCO are good ways to identify

independent state programs.

Public Service Loan Forgiveness


Community-Based or Hospital/Health System-Based Programs

Some communities and even hospitals or health systems sponsor their own

programs. Inquire with an employer during an interview or negotiation phase to

learn more about these opportunities.