Previous Page  4 / 8 Next Page
Show Menu
Previous Page 4 / 8 Next Page
Page Background


Primary Care Office (PCO) – the person/organization responsible for J-1

waivers and HPSA designations at the state level.

You can find a list of PCOs here: primarycareoffices.html

An additional resource for J-1 contacts: visa-contacts

Questions to ask the PCO

• Where can I find HPSA maps for this state?

• What do you typically use your ‘flex’ positions for?

• Do you fill your slots? If so, how fast?

• What are the state specific requirements?

• Are there any state-specific application (or other) fees? What are

they for, and how much are they?

• Are there any other agencies in this state that give waivers? For

example, Delta Regional Authority, Appalachian Regional

Commission, Department of Health and Human Services.


Ultimately, it is the employer and not the IMG that applies for the J-1 waiver

and sponsors the IMG for a change into H-1B status.

Employer has legal obligation to pay H-1B attorneys fees and filing fee costs

– conversely, the IMG cannot pay for H-1B fees or costs.

Need to make sure that the employer is aware of its immigration obligations.

Questions to ask the employer

• Who in the organization will take the lead for immigration purposes?

• What has been the employer’s experience in the past with J-1


• What attorneys has the employer used in the past?

• What is the culture in the employer?

• What assistance will you receive in integrating into the community?

Know the “Players”